Monday, December 8, 2014

New Music Books, New Skills


It is amazing what we can do with social media. I had the opportunity to meet an award winning, neoclassical composer, Stephan Beneking, from Berlin, Germany. Under ordinary circumstances, our paths would never have crossed. He has composed over three hundred songs. After listening to them and studying the music sheets, I became cognizant that I could use several of them form his “Zita in Wonderland,” for one of my students.

My student is learning an easy version of Moonlight Sonata, by Beethoven. She has a real passion for playing the piano, swiftly. Her only challenge is in being able to read the music as quickly as she plays. These selections available in the books I ordered are perfect for improving her sight reading skills. I was able to show her the correct notes and upon my return, she had memorized them well enough to play the first stanza with accuracy.

It is very rewarding to work with someone who takes her piano playing as seriously as she does. Tim Noble, a fifteen year old gospel pianist, is another child who has passion for playing the piano. He is already creating his own arrangements and background tracks.

Music education is considered a learning style and many of the STEM schools, (science, technology, engineering, and math) are including music in their curriculum. Scientists and philosophers have long recognized music as an important factor in education. As a piano teacher, I am looking forward to hearing more about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment