Monday, December 15, 2014

Preparing for Performances


Since I have had so many students in the past, we are planning to bring some of them together to do a performance somewhere in the community. This means my most advanced student has three months to learn the easy version of Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata." We are arranging for the students to play on a grand piano.

This should be a very rewarding experience for the students because of the opportunity to play on a grand piano, rather than a keyboard, which many of them have at home. Additionally, the songs which we select will be on a higher level that they are currently performing. For many of the students, this will be the first time they will be playing for an unknown audience. I am opening up the opportunity for new students, who will have plenty of time to learn a new song between now and then. My former students learned six or seven songs in seven weeks. If you happen to reside in Rhode Island or Southeastern Massachusetts and would like to enroll your child in my program, please contact me through the website contact form. It is imperative that you contact me before the end of the year to allow a sufficient amount of time to learn how to play the song. Beginners and intermediate students are welcomed to apply.

When I was running an after school program at one of the local community centers about ten years ago, we held a formal dinner for the students and donors of the community center to raise money for the center. The dinner was held at a major hotel chain. I had some very talented children in my program and I wanted to give them an opportunity to let the donors know that their donations had served a purpose.

Having attended various functions at hotels during my employment in the insurance industry, I became cognizant that there is usually a grand piano around in one of the rooms for wedding ceremonies. When the waitress cam to serve us, I asked if it was possible to bring a grand piano into the room for two of the students to play. The waitress joyfully replied that she would ask to have one brought in. Upon informing the director of what I had just done, she told me she did not think they would accommodate us at such late notice. However, to her surprise, they wheeled in a grand piano, and the children played, joyfully.

The two students happened to be brother and sister. The sister played "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin and the other played a Walt Disney song from the "Lion King." Needless to say, it was a nice surprise, the children played skillfully and joyfully, and received a booming applause. In the future, we will plan for the students to play at events like this on a grand piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment